Campfires are an essential yet practically unimportant aspect of Outer Wilds.
Campfires list[edit | edit source]
- Chert's camp is situated at the North Pole of Ember Twin, to allow them to have the best look possible at the stars.
- The Launch tower campfire is where the game starts, after the Hatchling slept outside before Launch Day.
- Esker's camp is located at the Lunar Outpost a now unused base that used to be a repair post for the ships of Outer Wilds Ventures' astronauts.
- Riebeck's camp is found at The Crossroads, on Brittle Hollow, which is where they fell down when trying to explore Nomai ruins.
- Feldspar's camp is hidden inside Dark Bramble, near Feldspa's crashed ship and protected from the Anglerfishes by the skeleton of a dead one.
Marshmallows[edit | edit source]
It's possible to cook and eat marshmallows on a campfire. While this functionnality appears to have no usefulness, it helps to remember the player to relax and enjoy the game's ambiance.
In truth, campfire also have a purely gamplay purpose as eating cooked marshmallows restores HP depending on how well cooked they are, which is determined by a complex formula based on time and on how hot the marshmallow was. A burnt marshmallow does not restore any health. It is also possible to roast a marshmallow by waiting on the supernova. One Achievement requires to eat ten burnt marchmallows.
Eating marshmallows appears to be a central element of Hearthian culture and they go nowhere without a seemingly unlimited supply of marshmallows.