|Location||Moon of Brittle Hollow|
Hollow's Lantern is a relatively small but highly volcanic moon orbiting Brittle Hollow. The four volcanoes throw out balls of lava into space at random short intervals, slowly depleting the moon's lava reserves and revealing the moon's surface. Most of the lava balls fall on Brittle Hollow, causing parts of the crust to collapse into the black hole at its center. The moon has a very unsusual axis of rotation, making the lava ball trajectory highly chaotic.
Locations[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Sometimes, a fireball misses the crust and enters the black hole of Brittle Hollow, causing fireballs to be found elsewhere in the solar system. Due to this, balls of lava can be found crash-landed on bodies far from Hollow's Lantern.
- There is an achievement on the Xbox One version of Outer Wilds called "Mica's Wrath" , to unlock this achievement you must destroy the model rocket by flying it into either the Sun, or Hollow's Lantern
- The Nomai used the volcanoes on Hollow's Lantern to test materials for their heat resistance, including ore from the Timber Hearth mines.
- Once the lava has emptied enough, a nomai skeleton can be found in a lava-lake, giving a 'rock on' gesture with both hands. This is thought to be a reference or easter egg relating to Terminator.
- Weirdly, the aforementioned skeleton appears to have a tail, which is, as far as we know, not seen anywhere else in the solar system.
- The lava balls explode on contact with anything but the Scout, which makes it possible for the player to prevent the destruction of Brittle Hollow.